• August


  • 1501
  • 0
Types of Virginia Remodeling Contractor Licenses

Types of Virginia Remodeling Contractor Licenses

You know you should work with a licensed contractor, but what does these Virginia Remodeling Contractor Licenses actually mean? From the Virginia State Contracting License entity known as the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation or DPOR, “the Board for Contractors licenses businesses engaged in the construction, removal, repair, or improvement of facilities on property owned by others. Contractor licenses consist of two parts: the class of license (A, B, or C), which determines the monetary value of contracts/projects that may be performed, and the classification/specialty, which determines what type of work is allowed.”

The Meaning of Virginia Remodeling Contractor Licenses

This means that businesses who are licensed by their state meet the minimum requirements of competency to operate within a state ensuring customer service, law compliance and disciplinary action where necessary. Virginia does not require all contractors to operate with a Contractor’s License – which means you should do your due diligence on your remodeling company to make sure they’re licensed by the state. Checking to see if your contractor has the correct Virginia Remodeling Contractor Licenses? You can look up Virginia State Contracting Licenses here.

In Virginia, there are three types of contractor licenses – A, B, and C.

  • A Class A contractor works on single contracts for $70,000 or more or contracts totaling $500,000 or more over a one-year period (company must have a net worth of at least $45,000).
  • A Class B contractor works on single contracts for $7,500 or more but less than $70,000 or contracts totaling $150,000 or more but less than $500,000 over a one-year period.
  • A Class C contractor works on single contracts for $1,000 or more but less than $7,500 or contracts totaling less than $150,000 over a one-year period.

There are also experience requirements attached to licensures in Virginia. A Class A licensed is only granted to contractors who have been in business for more than 5 years. Class B Contractor Licenses are granted to businesses 3 years or more, and Class C Licenses are issued to new companies who have been in business for 2 years.

In addition to the requirements above, a Class A and Class B license require a written exam.

“It will cost $60 to take the Class A exam. The Class B exam costs $40. A Class A license costs $230 and a Class B license is $205, both nonrefundable. A Class C certificate costs $150 nonrefundable. All are good for two years.”

There are also tradesman licenses granting licensure to trades. Also called the journeyman’s license, these licenses are issued to electrical, plumbing, HVAC, gas fitting, natural gas fitting and liquid petroleum gas fitting trades. These licenses also require a written exam and four years of practical trade experience and 240 hours of vocational training or similar associates degree with two years of experience.

The Class A, B, and C licenses are issued to a selection of general trades — building, highway/heavy, electrical, plumbing, and HVAC.

Is it important to work with a licensed contractor? Yes – look up your remodeling contractor in the Virginia License Database prior to signing any contracts!


You comment will be published within 24 hours.

Nameyour full name
Phonethe best # to reach you
City Statewhere do you live?

NVS Kitchen and Bath

8982 Hornbaker Road
Manassas, VA 20109
Phone: (703) 378-2600
E-mail: hello@nvskitchenbath.com

Most Viewed
© Copyright 2019 | Proudly Maintained by Target Rocket | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy